Question: We want to open companyimporting and trading Ham, Liquors, coffee, oil, vegetables, beer, sausce, honey andcheese in Vietnam, please advise.
Answer: This is reference to your email from which, we understand thatyou would like us to advise on establishment of a wholly foreign invested company(hereinafter referred to as “FIC’) in Vietnam.
We further understand that upon establishment,the FIC shall import and trade Ham, Liquors, coffee, oil, vegetables, beer, sausce, honey andcheese in Vietnam. We are therefore grateful to present you hereinafter our Legal ServicesProposal for your review and consideration.
1. OUR PRELIMINARY COMMENTS
1.1. BRIEF INTRODUCTION ON SETTING UP FOREIGN INVESTED
COMPANY IN VIETNAM
The establishment of a FIC in Vietnam requires an Investment Certificate and a Certificate ofBusiness Registration from the licensing authority. Depending upon the location of thecompany, the licensing authority may be the Provincial People’s Committee (for companieslocated outside industrial or export processing zones) or the provincial Industrial and ExportProcessing Zones Management Authority (for companies located in industrial or export processing zones).
We would like to clarify that the procedure for establishment of a FIC in Vietnam generally t akes a rather long time in comparison with other countries in the region.
We would like toclarify that the procedure for establishment of a FIC in Vietnam generally takes a rather longtime in comparison with other countries in the region.
Our practical experiences show thatalthough the total time for establishment of a foreign invested company as stipulated underVietnam Investment Law 2014 is only 15 days, the actual process may take a longer time dueto that the competent authority must consult other relevant offices to evaluate the investmentproject.
With respect to several cases that involves with relocation of 10,000 people or morein highlands; 20,000 people or more in other areas or requirement for changes of landpurposes or project in several special field such as Construction and operation of airports; airtransport; Construction and operation of national seaports; Petroleum exploration, extraction,and refinery etc, it shall require for approval from the National Assembly, Prime Minister orProvincial People Committee before starting the licensing process.
In this case, we assumethat your case is not subject to such requirement for approval. However, we reserve our rightto re-quote our professional fee and amend the work schedule if your case is subject toapproval of the National Assembly, Prime Minister or the Provincial People Committee.
Inorder to setup a FIC, it shall require you to undergo two following steps:
Step 1: Obtainment of Investment Certificate. The Law requires that within 15 working daysfrom submission of the application dossier the competent authority shall have to issue the Investment Certificate for Foreign Investor. However, having preliminarily discussed with the Licensing Authority, we do not much expect that the licensing authority can comply with this requirement in practice, especially, those relating to conditional investment sectors. For granting the Investment Certificate, the relevant licensing authorities shall evaluate the legitimacy and the feasibility of such Investment Project to determine on granting of the Investment Certificate on the following basis:
·Legal framework including Vietnam’s WTO Commitments, Vietnam Investment Law, Vietnam Enterprise Law, Regulations applicable to specific industries as well as the master economic development plan of the city or province that the FIC shall register its head-office.
·Your financial ability, investment capital to put in the Investment Project, facilities and human resources serving the implementation of such investment project in Vietnam.
Step 2: After obtainment of Investment Certificate, Client shall be required to obtain the Certificate of Business Registration. The Law requires that within 05 working days from submission of application dossier, the competent authority shall have to issue the Certificate of Business Registration for forming the FIC.
1.2. SPECIFIC COMMENTS
1.2.1. According to the Item 1, Article No. 4 of Decree No.23/2007/ND-CP dated 12 February 2007 of the Government providing regulation for implementation of commercial law regarding purchase and sale of goods and activities directly related to the purchase and sale of goods by enterprises with foreign owned capital in Vietnam (Hereinafter referred to as “Decree No.23/2007/ND-CP”), foreign investors who satisfy following conditions shall be entitled to license for activities of trading in Vietnam:
– It is an investor belonging to a country or territory participating in an international treaty of which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a member and in such treaty Vietnam has undertaken to open the market on activities of purchase and sale of goods and activities directly related to purchase and sale of goods;
– The form of investment is consistent with the schedule/s undertaken in international treaties of which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a member and is consistent with the law of Vietnam;
– The goods and services in which business is conducted are consistent with Vietnam’s undertaking to open the market and are consistent with the law of
The scope of operation is consistent with Vietnam’s undertaking to open the market and is consistent with the law of Vietnam;
– It has approval from the State body authorized in Vietnam. Italy has been a member of WTO. Thus, Client is entitled to setup a FIC for importing construction material into Vietnam.
However, we also would like to note that, FIC shall not be allowed to import cement and clinker as these goods are inhibited from importation and FIC must not be involve with distribution of imported goods within Vietnam Market.
1.2.2. Key factors to be noted For securing possibility of obtaining Investment Certificate for FIC, we highly recommend Client to carefully consider following matters:
– Capital: Vietnam Law does not stipulate minimum capital amount for this industries. However, according to our practical experience in previous case, an amount of 500,000USD upward should be reasonable. The Vietnam Government can also recommend you to increase the Capital Amount if the number of goods to be registered is large;
– Parent Company must have positive business operation result in at least 02 recent years. This must be evidenced by audited Financial Statements for 02 recent years and bank account statement.
– Head office address of the FIC in Vietnam must be compliant with master plan of Vietnam.
– Location and scale of warehouse or factory must be compliant with master plan of the City and it must secure enough space for assembly of construction material.
1.3. Licensing Process
– 02 working days from receipt of documents duly signed and sealed from Client, we shall submit the application dossier for starting the licensing procedure. It shall take about 20 working days from submission of application dossier to the competent authority for the provincial licensing authority to grant the Investment Certificate.
– 03 working days from receipt of Investment Certificate issued by the competent authority, we shall submit the application dossier for obtainment of Certificate of Business Registration. We shall obtain the Certificate of Business Registration within 05 working days from the submission date.
Post licensing: Within 15 working days we shall complete the post licensing procedures such as publishing the FIC in National Data on company registration, obtaining seal.
– For avoidance of any doubt, in practice, the administrative procedure can be longer due to that the competent authority must consult relevant ministries before granting License. In such case, SB Law shall try its best to accelerate the progress in order to obtain the approval at the soonest.
3. PROFESSIONAL FEE
Professional Fee for performing the SB Law services as mentioned in above item 4 above will be 12,000USD (Twelve thousand US Dollar). The above service fee is exclusive of 10% VAT and cost for translation of documents from English into Vietnamese (10USD/150 words).
If you would like further information on Establishment of companyimporting and trading Ham, Liquors, coffee, oil, vegetables, beer, sausce, honey andcheese in Vietnam, please either email to our Partners at: email@example.com or call to our Office:
Ha Noi Office: +84 (4) 62 62 0246
HCM Office: +84 (8) 35 208 101.